Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Business Licensing


                                                                                                                                 HOW DO I GET A LINDON BUSINESS LICENSE?


1. Who must obtain a Lindon City Business License? Lindon City Municipal Code states, "It is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the city without first having procured a license from the city to do so..." A separate license must be obtained for each business name operating at the same address, and each branch or satellite location of a business within Lindon City boundaries.

2. What paperwork do I need to have for Lindon City? Applications and other forms are available by clicking the links to the left.  Please fill out your application carefully and completely. Completed paperwork may be submitted at the Lindon City Center, 100 North State Street.  Your application will be checked for applicable zoning requirements. If your business requires a conditional use permit, you will be notified by the Planning and Zoning Department.

If your business is a Service Oriented Business, then you will need either a Social Security Number (for a Sole Proprietorship with no employees),or a Federal Employer Identification Number from the IRS (for any business with employees). You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-3676. Application forms for the Federal Employer Identification Number are also available at THIS NUMBER MUST BE OBTAINED BEFORE YOUR APPLICATION CAN BE PROCESSED.

If your business is a Retail Sales Business you will need a State of Utah Sales Tax Number, which can be obtained from the State Tax Commission Office in the State Building at the County/State Complex in Provo. (150 East Center, Suite 1300), or call 801-374-7070. Or visit THIS NUMBER MUST BE OBTAINED BEFORE YOUR APPLICATION CAN BE PROCESSED.

The State of Utah requires that all businesses be registered with the Department of Commerce. Registration depends on the type of business structure, whether sole proprietor, corporation, trust, etc. Proof of filing (i.e. file #) will be required with your Lindon City Business Application. See for more information. THIS NUMBER MUST BE OBTAINED BEFORE YOUR APPLICATION CAN BE PROCESSED.

Your business will also need to be registered with the Utah County Assessor for business personal property taxes. Forms are attached to the Lindon City Business License Application and must be returned with the application. For more information, visit

If your business is a Home Occupation you will need to complete the Home Occupation Application and return it with your Lindon City Business License Application. This is a one-time only fee of $25.00 for any business operating from a home. Please read the requirements for a Home Occupation from the Lindon City Code.

All Commercial Business, and any Home Occupation that is a manufacturing business, and/or will have clients, customers, children or employees on the premises at any time, and/or storage of any flammable or hazardous materials, is required to have an annual fire inspection. To schedule a fire inspection, call Dona at the City Center, (801) 785-5043.  

In addition to the above, all child care, group home, health care and food service businesses are required to obtain a Utah County Health Department inspection and attach a copy of the results to your Lindon City Business License Application. Call 374-7812 to schedule an inspection. More Info?

All child care businesses that care for more than four children in the home are required by the State of Utah to obtain a Child Care License or Certificate. Check with the local representative of the State Health Department at 374-7812 for the qualifications or check out A copy of your Child Care License must be attached to your business license application.

Finally, a Industrial Waste and Pretreament Questionaire is required for all commercial and industrial businesses.

It takes approximately two weeks for your license to be issued assuming your place of business passes any required inspections, the application was properly completed, and the business does not require a conditional use permit.

3. When are the business license fees due? How much does it cost?   Business license fees are due on or before the first day operations commence and are past due 10 days thereafter. All new businesses are assessed the minimum license fee the first year of operations. Thereafter, License Fees are assessed according to the type of business. See the reverse side of the Lindon City Business License Application for a list of fees by type of business. Renewals are due and payable on or before January 1st of each year. Any past due license fees are subject to a penalty of ten percent per month, and thereafter, interest is added at the rate of 1½ % per month.

4. The purpose of a Lindon City Business License is:
To regulate and license businesses within the corporate limits of Lindon City.
To determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances.
To maintain a safe environment for the general public through inspections.
To enforce zoning, building and fire codes.
To maintain a list of currently licensed businesses for public access.
To provide revenues used for City services such as fire and police protection.
To ensure that Lindon City collects its portion of sales tax revenues from the Utah State Tax Commission.